HELP! HOW CAN I HELP MY CHILD WITH THEIR HOMEWORK?Top of Page
Your child is getting to that age where you may not remember all of the information that your child is learning in class, which can make it difficult to help them on their homework. Below are some strategies that you can use:
Always check your child's agenda first to see what is assigned
Read all directions carefully. Ask your child about things that may be unclear to you (ex- "where is your spelling list for this assignment?").
Ask your child open ended questions about the assignment. Often times the student actually knows a lot more then they realize, and asking them questions will help to jog their memory.
Textbooks- they are a great tool!
Trouble remembering how to solve math concepts? Go to https://www.khanacademy.org/ This website has short videos that take you and your child step by step through how to solve each kind of problem. It is a FREE site; you'll just need to sign up for it
If you are like many parents, you may find that you have a difficult time getting your child to want to read. Here are some helpful tips that teachers know have proven to help get students to do their nightly reading:
1. Have a set time each day that your child reads. One of the most difficult things is just creating the habit to read. Every family is different, but some good times for reading are: right when your child comes home from school, right before or after dinner, or right before bed. The trick it to pick a time and stick with it.
2. Have your child read somewhere where there are limited distractions.
3. If they are having trouble staying focused, set a timer. That way they will stop watching the clock (and will help them get rid of the feeling that they have been reading "forever").
4. Make sure that they are reading a book that is within their reading level (so that it is not too easy or too difficult for them). Ask your child what their reading level is (if they forgot then check with their ELA teacher).
5. Most readers will tell you that it was reading one great book that got them hooked on reading. Help your child to try new genres so that they can find what interests them. When they find a book that they love to read, then reading becomes something they enjoy doing.