The mission of Norwood Junior High School is to create opportunities for learning that are unique, interactive, and enhanced by technology to foster an environment that promotes excellence in independent thinking for a diverse student population.
We pledge ourselves to:
- Build on the student’s individual talents.
- Nurture the creative potential of adolescents through a curriculum which is student-centered and relevant.
- Provide learning experiences which promote a firm mathematical foundation.
- Foster communication, reading and writing skills.
- Recognize that learning is multidimensional.
- Cultivate a commitment to lifelong learning.
- Develop students with good character, self-respect, self-worth and good citizenship
- Consistent High Performance on State Standardized Tests.
- Exemplary GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) Program.
- Four Computer Labs - Norwood uses the latest educational technology including “Smart Boards”, LCD projectors and Smart Response Clickers to enhance student achievement.
- Core standards-based academics in areas of English, Math, Science and Social Studies.
- Multilevel Intervention Program for students almost at grade level and for those having significant challenges in core academics.
- Outstanding Physical Education Program.
- Boys and Girls Athletics.
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) – A college readiness program with a focus on scholastic advancement and college success.
- MESA - Math, Engineering, Science, Achievement Program
- English Language Learners acquire English at a more proficient rate than their counterparts statewide.
- Student Enrichment Opportunities - Leadership Classes, Weekly Good Character classes, MASTERS After School Program, Violin Lessons (After School), Journalism.
- Our library has approximately 6,800 volumes, 38 computer workstations, electronic card catalog and multimedia presentation stations and video conference equipment.
- Athletics - The Nobles have won nine district championships in three years and offer girls volleyball, football, boys and girls basketball, and boys and girls soccer.
Parental Participation Opportunities